Why We Visited Dubai & Mauritius

September 20, 2015

I’m currently in Mauritius, a tiny island off the coast of Africa best known as a honeymoon destination. I’m not here for a holiday but sadly due to a family situation that is reaching crisis point. This trip was completely unplanned and last-minute, arising at the most inconvenient time in the way these things tend to. We had a few days stopover in Dubai (as you may have seen from this jubilant post) and am now in Mauritius. Mauritius is one of my favourite places in the world, and I’ve written a lot about it before.

Even given the present circumstances I’m grateful to be here in this beautiful country, although I feel very displaced right now. I had planned for September and October to be about recording, rooting myself in projects for the next couple months. Writing round the clock and laying the foundations for next years work. Instead I’m a million miles away from home, trying to reschedule and mentally readjusting to effectively pausing my life for a bit. I feel like somebody’s taken over the reins for a bit. It’s pretty bizarre. If I don’t get much chance to blog in the next few weeks.. you know where I am! I’ll try and share this incredible place on Instagram from time to time as well.

18 comments so far.

18 responses to “Why We Visited Dubai & Mauritius”

1. I am so utterly and hideously jealous, how beautiful! I cant wait to read more about your experiences, have a great time!x

2. Jane says:

Sorry to hear about the reason why you’re in Mauritius, sounds like it’s been a bit of a stressful time. Mauritius does look so beautiful though. Delayed transfers suck but damn that’s one good way to make up for it!

3. diploctor says:

I am sorry for your family issues. Although I am encouraged hat you still can manage to find something to be grateful for ! Wish you all the best with everything.

4. Denise says:

I hope the family situation is solved, soon, dear Laila! But in the meantime, yes, you are in such a place! I love the sea and the pace of life that a beach can give… well, I hope you enjoy your time there, somehow, and that you come back with all solved. (And just for the record, I am not a particular fan of monarchy either, just wanted to show some curiosities 🙂 So” don’t worry”, no politics or anything polemic on my blog, that is my credo 🙂
    DenisesPlanet.com

5. anne-marie says:

Mauritius is a beautiful country
    I like the Mauritian kitchen

6. Monika says:

I hope everything works out for you and your family. It is a beautiful location though so at least you have that to look toward. Wishing you the best!

-M

7. Stephanie says:

Hey! Mauritius looks amazing and I really wish I have the chance to visit there also! I’m sorry to hear about your family situation and hope everything works out and that you don’t stress too much. Good luck! 🙂

Stephanie @ Sartorial Diner

8. ellieeburns says:

laila i hope everything’s ok! (but beautiful photos inbetween) when you get back we’ll have to meet up again x

9. Kati says:

This doesn’t sound good…
    Sending all my thoughts!

-Kati

10. Reshma says:

I have never been to Mauritius or Dubai. I’ve such great things about both places. I’m sorry that you are there during this difficult, but sometimes I think you just have to let life lead the way and give up the reins. Who knows, maybe you will find great inspiration from your sites and surroundings during this time! 🙂

11. winnie says:

Oh I do hope you’re ok and sucks to read that you’re there for reasons other than a holiday 🙁 Beautiful photos though and that last one of the rock forms and the beach is awesome.

12. Sorana says:

Amazing place dear , looks like paradise ! I always like watching travel posts !
    Check out the new post on my blog:

xoxo

13. christina says:

I was going to email you tonight, hope all is okay. I will follow the beauty on instagram – and be wishing you well.

14. I wish you luck and hope all will end up better; although sometimes it doesn’t but I hope you’ll be able to go through this downside with peace.

15. Jen Saxton says:

Sorry this is such a late comment – I’ve been so out of things the last few months. Hoping that the family situation is as good as it can be, given circumstances, and you’re hanging in there, able to make some happy memories to mix in with any pain and sadness. Glad you have such beautiful surroundings, I always feel more peaceful when I’m by the ocean. Something about its hugeness and ever-changing yet constant nature is so reassuring. Sending love.

16. […] is a slightly random assortment of photos, I’ve already told you why I was there and my thoughts so as you might expect documenting the trip and everything we saw wasn’t […]